What is Vision Therapy?
Optometric Vision Therapy is:
- A progressive program of vision procedures
- Performed under doctor supervision
- Individualized to fit the visual needs of each patient
- Generally conducted in-office, in once or twice weekly sessions of 30 minutes to an hour
- Occasionally supplemented with procedures done at home between office visits
Who Can Benefit from Vision Therapy?
Vision therapy is not just for children! We can also help adults with visual problems, as well as those suffering from eye problems following an accident or head injury.
Depending on the case, Vision Therapy is prescribed to:
- Help patients develop or improve fundamental visual skills and abilities
- Improve visual comfort, ease, and efficiency
- Change how a patient processes or interprets visual information
I can see 20/20, so my vision is fine, right?
Not necessarily! Vision involves more than simply being able to see clearly. After producing a clear image, the eyes relay visual information to the brain, which must then interpret and process that information. If the eyes aren't working together properly to produce a clear, single image, excess energy is used to keep the eyes aligned and maintain clarity of the image. This takes away from the brain's processing and comprehension power and can lead to a range of problems including:
- Eyestrain/Tired Eyes
- Reading Difficulties
- Poor Comprehension
- Poor Hand-Eye Coordination
- Dizziness or Motion Sickness
About 80% of what is learned in school is via information that is presented visually. Therefore, undetected or untreated vision problems can interfere with a child or adult's ability to perform to their full learning potential.
Shravya: January 20, 2017
Parent comments: We have seen Shravya improve a lot and is much more conscious of her vision than before. She has been using her eyes much more efficiently, coordinating them well. The alignment of her eyes in terms of appearance has improved significantly. Shravya now has better reading abilities. Overall we feel happy that we are lucky to have met Dr. Mok. Her dedicated training and therapy helped Shravya become more confident. Dr. Mok and her team are truly dedicated, and their commitment and training would help anyone that is in need of vision therapy be a guaranteed success.
Vision Therapy Success Stories
Vision Therapy FAQ's
Vision Therapy and Learning
Vision Therapy Learning and Dyslexia
More Vision Therapy Studies and Journal Articles
Other Vision Therapy Links